Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online

Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online

James Bareham / The Verge

James Bareham / The Verge

James Bareham / The Verge

James Bareham / The Verge

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

After being announced in January 2017, Nintendo launched their long awaited online playing service on Tuesday, September 18th.

Nintendo has come far from what it was in the 80s. However, for the past few years, many people have thought that the game company has not advanced far enough to be on par with the likes of other gaming console brands, such as Playstation and Xbox. To change that, Nintendo decided to make their own online gaming service, the Nintendo Switch Online.

Nintendo Switch Online costs $4 per month or $20 per year when bought from the eShop, though it can also be bought from Best Buy, GameStop, and Amazon as well. Members of the service can play online with others and are given access to twenty enhanced NES games, as well as exclusive offers such as wireless NES controllers to use with the Switch and in-game gear for Splatoon 2.

To enhance the online gaming experience, Switch Online also comes with a smartphone app that enables voice chat between players, on top of being able to use the app on the console to message friends.

Of course, there are downsides to the service. Many Nintendo users are displeased with the fact that they now have to pay to play online after a year of doing so for free.

Aidan Walrath (10), a Nintendo fan, said, “If we had to pay for online, they should have given it to us right out the gate instead of giving us good online service and then demanding we now give money for it.”

Switch Online also gives users the option to backup their game saves to the cloud, although this comes with some small details people are not too fond about.

One of the biggest things Nintendo fans have been complaining about is the lack of a buffer period for lapsed subscriptions to Switch Online. This means that if a player forgets to renew their subscription in time or if there is a billing error after the subscription lapses, all saved data in the cloud is lost immediately.

People are also criticizing the fact that Switch Online does not allow cloud saves for all of its games. Competitive games, such as Splatoon 2, Dark Souls Remastered, and FIFA 19, fall under this category. Nintendo explains the reason is to stop users from cheating at these games by restoring old cloud data to regain traded items and lost rankings.

However, many are pointing out that this is not a perfect system. Some games like Fortnite, Paladins, and Warframe do not require Switch Online to be played online. This has caused fans to question the necessity of Switch Online since some of the popular games played online do not require the program.

Some fans believe that making Switch Online necessary for online multiplayer games is cheap, considering it was free to do so previously on the Switch.

Izel Arambula (10), a frequent player of Nintendo games online, feels Switch Online is unnecessary and detrimental. Arambula explained, “Nintendo’s online play gives everyone a chance to have fun with each other, but doing a cheap cash grab like this just seems like [it is] taking away from a lot of people.”

To upgrade a Switch console to get Switch Online, the system has to be upgraded to version 6.0. Users must also make sure that they have linked the correct Nintendo account to their Switch because once they have upgraded to Switch Online, the account cannot be changed.

The importance of Switch Online is something that depends on the player. The service is now available to purchase a subscription to.

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Danielle Perea is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys music, playing the tenor saxophone, and chillin with her homie (her pet guinea pig.)

• Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

Big Roar From The Lion King

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online