Social Media Star Loses Fight to Cystic Fibrosis

Sanskriti Adigal, Entertainment Editor

On Saturday, September 2, 21-year old Youtube star, Claire Wineland lost her fight against cystic fibrosis just one week after receiving a lung transplant. Wineland suffered a massive stroke as a result of a blood clot after her 9-hour double lung transplant surgery on August 26. Upon much intensive care and procedures, Wineland’s family decided to take her off life support.

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic condition that causes persistent lung infections and prevents proper breathing. Wineland, who was diagnosed at birth had a 1% chance of survival after having her lungs fail at the ripe age of 13. However, after coming out of her 16 day medically induced coma, Wineland founded her organization, Claire’s Place Foundation, and has stayed strong ever since.

The non-profit foundation works to provide emotional and financial support to children and young adults going through cystic fibrosis. A day after her death, Claire’s place confirmed via Facebook that, “She [Claire] was not in any pain and the medical staff said it was the most peaceful passing they had ever witnessed.”

Despite her condition, Wineland always maintained an optimistic outlook and in her Youtube videos even referred to herself as a self-described “goofball”. In one of the last videos, Wineland posted on her channel, she mentioned her fears of the transplant surgery not going well and concern of the future of her parents. Before exiting, she also stated to her viewers, “Go enjoy your life. Really. I mean that seriously. Go enjoy it, ’because there are people fighting like hell for it.”

Upon hearing the tragic news, several of Wineland’s fans and followers reached out to her and her loved ones giving support. Jane the Virgin actor, Justin Baldoni, who visited Wineland, stated, “I was devastated. But when we got to the ICU in San Diego I witnessed what I can only describe as one of the purest demonstrations of love I had ever seen. I saw support, love, laughter, and a group of people brought together by a young woman who had the keys to the secrets of the universe.”

Even after her death, Wineland served as an organ donor. A family specialist wrote to Wineland’s mother, Melissa Yeager,Claire was able to save the life of two people, her right kidney was transplanted to a 44 year old woman in San Diego, and her left kidney was transplanted to a 55 year old male in Northern California. Also, Claire’s corneas and tissue was recovered and she will be able to enhance the life of up to 50 people.”

Words of encouragement and love are being poured to Wineland’s family, and Claire’s Place Foundation is committed to upholding her legacy by helping families in need.      

Sanskriti Adigal, Entertainment Editor

Sanskriti Adigal is the Entertainment Editor for 2018-19 staff of Smoke Signals. She likes being involved in the community and is in organizations such...

• Social Media Star Loses Fight to Cystic Fibrosis

A Musical Milestone For Female Artists

Modern Family Wraps Up With Season 11

21 Savage Faces Deportation

Toy Story 4 to be Released this Summer

Chris Brown Released From Prison Over Rape Allegations

Broadway Star Dies at 97 Years Old

The Grammys Have A Host For 2019

Diversity in the 2019 Oscar Nominations

An Egg Beats Kylie Jenner’s Instagram World Record

2019 Critics’ Choice Awards