Singers, Sports, and Surfboards For The Win

Courtesy of TVLine

Courtesy of TVLine

Courtesy of TVLine

Courtesy of TVLine

Anna Kim, Editor-in-Chief

On Sunday, August 12th, FOX held its annual Teen Choice Awards celebrating achievements in music, sports, television, and more. Hosted by Nick Cannon and Lele Pons, the show took place at The Forum in Inglewood.

To start the night off, American singer and songwriter Lauv performed his song “I Like Me Better.” Other performers of the night included Meghan Trainor, Foster the People, Bebe Rexha, Evve McKinney, and Khalid. Khalid’s performance was different compared to the rest of the singers as he sang medley of his songs “Young, Dumb & Broke” to “OTW” to “American Teen.”

Nick Robinson, who plays the main character Simon Spier in the movie Love Simon, won Choice Breakout Movie Star, Choice Movie Ship with Keiynan Lonsdale, and Choice Comedy Movie with the cast of the film. The movie focuses on finding one’s identity and sexual orientation.

In Robinson’s speech, he said, “This is a labour of love and this is a story that we hope will help some people.”

Troye Sivan gave a speech, which included his admiration towards Love Simon. He praised the film for its inspiration towards others and also talked about how teenagers can make a difference in the world. He expressed how teenagers who put themselves out there to help the cause of others truly can impact the others.

Sivan stated, “Teens truly are giving voices back to those who had been silenced and giving hope to those who had been dismissed. Above all else, teens have reminded us that despite our differences, we all share common experiences too.”

K-pop stars BTS and Jackson Wang from Got7 also represented at the awards. BTS’ fanbase won for Choice Fandom, while the group won  Choice International Artist, following their win from last year. Wang won Choice Next Big Thing. There were also other stars, such as Black Pink, Exo, Super Junior, NCT, and Stray Kids, who were nominated and representing South Korea.

The big winner of the night went to the cast of Riverdale who won the most awards. Claiming nine out of their twelve nominations, the cast won Choice Drama TV Show, Choice Drama TV Actor for Cole Sprouse, Choice Drama TV Actress for Lili Reinhart, and more.

If you did not get to watch the Teen Choice Awards, there are still other shows to come that will be celebrating achievements in the entertainment industry. The Primetime Emmy Awards is the next award show and will be presented by NBC on Monday, September 17.

Anna Kim, Co-Editor in Chief

Anna Kim is the Co-Editor in Chief for Smokes Signals and a senior at West High. Kim enjoys listening to The Fray and watching her favorite TV show, The...

• Singers, Sports, and Surfboards For The Win

2019 Critics’ Choice Awards

Megyn Kelly Leaves NBC News

Oh, Sandra Oh Hosted The Golden Globes

Golden Globes 2019

Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Meghan Markle Will Not Be Spending Christmas With Her Mother

Jada Pinkett Smith Faces Depression in the Spotlight

Neurological Studies Shed Light on OCD Symptoms

Megan Fox and #MeToo

The Ultimate Battle