Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Ollie Millington/ Redferns

Ollie Millington/ Redferns

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

On May 20 at a Hangout Fest performance by Kendrick Lamar in Gulf Shores, Alabama, the rapper had to stop the show to tell a white fan not to use the n-word. The fan, who identified herself as “Delaney” used the n-word multiple times after Lamar had invited the fan to come up onstage to help him rap his song “m. A. A. d. city”, which uses the n-word several times. Lamar stopped Delaney from rapping on stage after she failed to censor herself and used the n-word multiple times.

The music stopped as Lamar repeated, “Wait, wait, wait” after Delaney used the n-word several times. Delaney stopped rapping and seemed to not understand, as she asked “Am I not cool enough for you? What’s up bro?”. Lamar then told her “You gotta bleep one single word though”. Delaney seemed to realize her mistake and apologized, and Lamar asked the crowd if he should let her continue rapping. Delaney was allowed to keep rapping even after the crowd booed her and told Lamar to take her off stage.

Use of the n-word has been the source of debate for years as people argue over whether or not it is okay for a non-black person to say it. Some people think that Lamar did the right thing by using Delaney as an example for other non-black people about who shouldn’t use the n-word. Other people, however, feel that by putting a white fan onstage to rap a song that uses the n-word, Lamar was setting Delaney up. The fan’s justification for saying the word was that she was singing the song as he had written it.

Jorge David (11), a fan of hip hop and rap music, thought that Lamar was justified in stopping Delaney. He explained, “I think Kendrick Lamar did not realize that she would say that word, so when she straight up said it, he was startled. It was indeed justified. There is no reason to say such a hurtful word, regardless of it’s in a song.”

Stephanie Lymon (9), another fan of hip hop and rap music, felt the same way. She explained, “As an African American who looks up to people like Kendrick Lamar I think it was a good decision to stop her from continually rapping. He doesn’t seem like the type of artist to let stuff like that slide, which is simply respectful for those who are not okay with non-black people saying the n-word. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s okay, it matters to respect the of those affect by the word.”

As long as more non-black people continue to use the n-word, whether in a song or not, the discussion of who gets to say it will continue. This is not the first time this has happened, and it will not be the last.

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Danielle Perea is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys music, playing the tenor saxophone, and chillin with her homie (her pet guinea pig.)

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Big Roar From The Lion King

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson