Gambino’s America

Courtesy+of+Hip-Hop+N+More+
Courtesy of Hip-Hop N More

Courtesy of Hip-Hop N More

Courtesy of Hip-Hop N More

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Saturday, May 5, the rapper, singer, songwriter, comedian, and actor Donald Glover hosted popular comedy TV show Saturday Night Live and served as the musical guest under his alter-ego Childish Gambino, becoming one of the handful of people to do so in the shows history.

Glover also participated in almost every sketch that night. One notable sketch was “Friendos,” which featured rapper A$AP Rocky and was about a mock-therapy session with rap group Migos. This was followed by “Lando’s Summit,” in which he played Lando Calrissian his character in the upcoming film Solo: A Star Wars Movie. Christian Jung (10), who is a big fan of Donald Glover said, “I’ve never really watched SNL, but I did watch this episode since it featured Childish Gambino. While the humor wasn’t my style, I still enjoyed some of the sketches because of Donald Glover’s acting.”

TV Critic Dennis Perkins did not enjoy the show as much, stating, “The sketches weren’t bad. They could have been tighter—the Barbie and Lando sketches had endings that sort of dribbled out after some solid laughs. And even his winning monologue needed some more snap to the writing and the presentation.”Glover was also featured in the politically-charged sketch called “A Kanye Place” about rapper Kanye West’s recent tweets regarding President Trump on Twitter. West even took notice of the sketch and posted it on his Twitter with three laughing emojis and three fire emojis.

Glover also performed two new songs that night, “Saturday” and “This is America,” under his musical alias Childish Gambino. He also released a music video for one the songs, “This is America” that quickly exploded on Youtube and social media, featuring the vocals of other artists like Young Thug and SZA. The video has been lauded for its use of symbolism and references to traditional African dances, the movie Get Out, the Charleston shooting, and even the Bible. Shimoni Peiris (11), a fan of Glover, enjoyed the video and stated, “I really liked the message behind the video since [Donald Glover] was able to talk about the real issues that affect Black America.”

Saturday was truly a big day for Glover and he was able to show his versatility as an actor, singer, and media personality.             

• Gambino’s America

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Gambino’s America

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Gambino’s America

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Gambino’s America

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Gambino’s America

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Gambino’s America

Post Stoney

• Gambino’s America

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Gambino’s America

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Gambino’s America

DAMN, Another Award?

• Gambino’s America

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

Gambino’s America