The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Ahron R. Foster / Playbill

Ahron R. Foster / Playbill

Ahron R. Foster / Playbill

Todd Potter, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, May 1, the nominations for the 72nd Tony Awards, which will take place on June 10, were announced.  Only thirty productions were eligible for awards, the lowest number in more than a decade, and currently Mean Girls and Spongebob Squarepants: The Musical have the most nominations with 12 each.

The musical adaptation of the 2004 film Mean Girls officially opened on April 8 and is nominated for many of the major categories including Best Musical, Best Actress, Best Original Score, and Best Book, which was written by Tina Fey.

Kyra Palmieri (10), a member of West High’s Play Production, thinks Mean Girls will win for Best Musical.  

“I personally think that Mean Girls will take the crown this year because so many people love the movie so having a musical with super awesome music and the dances make it so much better.”

Inspired by the animated TV series, Spongebob Squarepants: The Broadway Musical opened on December 8, 2017 and is also nominated for many categories, including Best Musical, Best Actor for Ethan Slater’s performance of Spongebob, Best Choreography, and Best Score.

James Garrity (12), a member of Play Production, enjoys listening to Spongebob because of his connection to the TV show.

“I really like the music, as weird as it is being Spongebob. I grew up watching Spongebob, so it hits me in the heart all the time.”

Also in the contention with eleven nominations, including Best Musical, is The Band’s Visit.  Based on a 2007 film, the musical tells the story of a band travelling from Egypt to Israel and what happens after a band accidently goes to the wrong town for their concert where they must rely on the kindness of Israeli strangers until they can catch the next bus.

A member of Play Production, Emily Partida (12) believes The Band’s Visit will come out on top for Best Musical.

“I think The Band’s Visit or Mean Girls will win the award, however I am leaning more towards The Band’s Visit. From what I’ve heard, the music and storytelling is very  impressive and is a clear winner out of the other choices.”

The fourth and final contender for Best Musical is Disney’s musical adaptation of Frozen, which is also nominated for Best Original Score and Best Book.

Revivals of the musical Carousel and the play Angels in America also garnered eleven nominations each.  Both competing for Best Revival of a Musical, My Fair Lady received ten nominations while Once On This Island earned eight.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which originally opened on London’s West End Palace Theatre in June 2016, made its Broadway debut on April 22, 2018 and has ten nominations, including Best Play and Best Actor in a Play.  Cursed Child is also the only one of the nominees for Best Play that is still running on Broadway.

See who wins in each category as Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban host the 72nd Tony Awards on CBS on June 10 at 5 p.m.

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Gambino’s America

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Post Stoney

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

DAMN, Another Award?

• The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!