Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Hector Retamal / Getty Images

Hector Retamal / Getty Images

Hector Retamal / Getty Images

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Most Monday nights are not particularly entertaining, but on May 7, it was not just any Monday night. The Met Gala was held to raise money for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The theme was “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” which faced criticism as some people thought it was disrespectful to the Catholic religion.

Some outfits were more subtle following this theme, and some of them were a lot more direct. Rihanna wore a pope-inspired Margiela outfit that included a beaded papal tiara and a crucifix necklace, while Solange Knowles opted for a dress designed by Iris Van Herpen, along with a durag, a halo, and a net bag that included Florida water and an obsidian sphere.

Drishti Tyagi (9) enjoyed the fashion and photos from the red carpet at this year’s Met Gala. She said, “All the outfits were really tasteful. I really liked Rihanna, Cardi B, and Nicki Minaj’s outfits because those were the most unique and creative in my opinion.”

Rapper Cardi B wore a jewelled crown with her crystal covered Moschino gown to match, while Nicki Minaj brought a bright red Oscar de la Renta gown to the red carpet.

Katy Perry also attracted attention with her dress, which represented the archangel Gabriel and included feathered wings. Selena Gomez attracted attention as well, but not in the same way as Perry. The singer was noticed for a tanning mishap that left her looking a few shades more orange than she had intended. Gomez later addressed this on Instagram by making a joke about it.

Despite the popularity of the event, not all of the guests were able to attend. Most notably, Kim Kardashian attended the Met Gala without her husband Kanye West. Kardashian later tweeted the reason for West’s absence at the event was due to him working on five albums at the time.

Like West, Beyoncé didn’t show up to this year’s Met Gala either, but for a different reason. Beyonce had planned on going to the gala, but her husband Jay Z booked a surprise trip to relax before their upcoming ‘On the Run II’ tour.

Sanuthii Ronesingle (9), a fan of Beyoncé, wished the singer would have been at the Met Gala. She stated, “[I am] a little disappointed. I wanted to see the dress she would have worn.” Even though the singer posted pictures of the dress on her social media, fans felt deprived of that look, especially after Beyoncé skipped last year’s Met Gala as well.

With a possibly controversial theme, certain stars skipping out on the event, and a tanning mishap, the Met Gala was still engaging. If you missed out on the event, do not worry as there is always next year.

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Gambino’s America

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Post Stoney

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

DAMN, Another Award?

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Rampage: Raving Reviews

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Experience Isolation

• Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

Isle Of The Dogs Offers a New Dystopian World

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion