Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

Courtesy of Gold Derby

Courtesy of Gold Derby

Courtesy of Gold Derby

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

On Sunday, April 15, the 53rd Academy of Country Music Awards was hosted by Reba McEntire at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The show recognized many achievements made in the music industry by country artists. Fans gathered together during the night as renowned music stars performed a variety of songs. Some stars included Toby Keith, Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton, and Lauren Alaina.

Jason Aldean started the show as by introducing Thomas Rhett, Miranda Lambert, Maren Morris, and Luke Bryan. The five artists all gave brief, emotional speeches regarding the Las Vegas shooting. Kenny Chesney then followed with “Get Along,” a song that brought a message of people coming together.

Lily Mihailovic (9), who watched the country music awards, said, “They showed true emotion and love towards the families who are grieving. This made it stick out and shows that there are still good in people. The victims will always be in our hearts.”

In memory of the recent shootings that have occured in October, multiple artists wore gold lapel pins that had a “58” on it for the number of people killed or “851” for the number of people injured in the October shooting.

Not only did the award show promote the need for more peace, but gender equality was also brought to attention. ACM CEO, Pete Fisher, said, “…Gender equality makes us better, makes us stronger. We want to see more women behind the microphone, but not only that, behind the [recording and broadcasting] console as well. We want to hear those voices on country radio, and we feel a responsibility to be part of the solution.”

Speaking of women in the music industry, Carrie Underwood delivered an intense performance of her new single “Cry Pretty.” Although the country singer has experienced a few injuries which prevented her from performing lately, it received a standing ovation when she closed her performance. Keith Urban congratulated Underwood on her performance when accepting his award for Vocal Event of the Year.

Little Big Town also carried out a memorable performance that night. The band performed “Rocket Man” with glittery outfits and a light show backdrop featuring extraterrestrial scenes.

A viewer of the show, Hailey Cowing (9), said, “Their scenery and clothing added a lot to their rendition which made it stand out. I am sad that they did not win an award this year, but glad I got to see them perform.”

McEntire ended the show as she invited Chris Janson onto the stage to sing his hit song, “Redneck Life,” as the closing act.

The night ended as many artists were acknowledged for their dedication and contribution to the music industry. We hope to see another spectacular show next year.

• Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

Gambino’s America

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

Post Stoney

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

DAMN, Another Award?