Rampage: Raving Reviews

Courtesy of Movie Times

Courtesy of Movie Times

Courtesy of Movie Times

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

On Friday, April 11, the sci-fi action film Rampage will be released in US theaters by New Line Cinema, Flynn Picture Company, Wrigley Pictures and Twisted Media. The movie’s screenwriters are Carlton Cuse, Adam Sztykiel, Ryan Engle and Ryan J. Condal. The director is Brad Peyton.    

Rampage centers around primatologist Davis Okoye, played by Dwayne Johnson, and his dilemma in saving genetically mutated animals including George, his former best friend, in Chicago. The film progresses as Okoye continues to struggle in his fight against a possible worldwide catastrophe. Hailey Cowing (9), who has anticipated Rampage, said, “I love the sense of adrenaline and action that Johnson brings to his movies. I can not wait to witness it all in Rampage.”

The movie premiere buzzed excitement as a multitude of celebrities attended, such as Danny Trejo and Hilarie Burton. During the premiere, Peyton elaborated on how he brought the creatures to life. According to a Variety interview, he stated, “I designed the movie, sat down and storyboarded, and even when I got on set I was like ‘this is bigger than what I thought it would be’…it’s destroyed Chicago and there’s 400 people…it kind of hits you like this is way bigger.”

The lead star also got a chance to talk during the movie premiere. Johnson chose to share his special memories of Rampage back when he was a kid. Dwayne Johnson reminisced, “I was a very big fan of the video game growing up, I started playing it in Hawaii when I was thirteen years old… I would drop quarters in the ‘Rampage’ video game all the time.”

Prior to the film, Johnson starred in another video game motion picture called Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Movie critics are comparing the two films noting Dwayne Johnson’s role in Rampage than Jumanji. Atlantic Staff Writer David Sims said, “In Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (which was actually set inside a video game), Johnson had fun playing a digital avatar, mocking his own absurd proportions and litany of super-abilities. Rampage takes that exaggerated persona at face value, rather than cleverly undercutting it.”

In addition, Jasmin Tafolla (9), who has watched a handful of Dwayne Johnson movies, said, “Rampage honestly does not seem like it will be a big hit like how Jumanji was. The plotline just sounds a bit too cliché and the movie has 50% on Rotten Tomatoes.”

Regarding the Rotten Tomatoes rating, Rampage features a few gruesome creatures with the aid of special effects. Eklavya Mishra (9), who enjoys watching video game adaptations, said, “I have noticed that special effects are where movies like this usually go wrong. There is either too much or too little.”

The distribution of special effects was brought to much attention as critics questioned the depiction of other scenes. According to a Guardian review, Peter Bradshaw, chief film critic, said, “Maybe if quite so much of the budget hadn’t been splurged on that rats-in-space scene at the beginning, the crashing helicopter work could have been fine-tuned.”

Despite its conflicting reviews, Rampage overall is a thrilling movie that is bound to bring you on a wild adventure. It hits theaters on April 11.

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Social Media Star Loses Fight to Cystic Fibrosis

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Singers, Sports, and Surfboards For The Win

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Gambino’s America

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

Post Stoney

• Rampage: Raving Reviews

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

Rampage: Raving Reviews