Experience Isolation

Courtesy of Kali Uchis

Courtesy of Kali Uchis

Courtesy of Kali Uchis

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Three years after her EP Por Vida, Kali Uchis released her new album Isolation on April 6. The album has 15 songs and features artists such as Tyler, the Creator, Steve Lacy, and Bootsy Collins.

The record draws from a variety of other genres such as R&B, funk, reggaeton, Latin pop, and bossa nova. Uchis credits this variety to the varied genres she listened to growing up and uses life as an inspiration for her music. In an interview with Vulture, Uchis explained how she does not try to fit into labels: “I’m not a Barbie doll, I’m just a multidimensional human being who likes to make things.”

Uchis makes music for herself. She wants her music to tell her audience that they do not need to listen to others for validation. In “Miami,” which features rapper BIA, Uchis sings about making a living for herself in Miami and facing assumptions that she was earning her money through prostitution instead of the hard work she was doing.

The last song on Isolation, “Killer” is a ballad, based on Uchis’ life in her teen years when she was kicked out of her house and was in a toxic relationship. “After The Storm,” which features Tyler, the Creator, and Bootsy Collins, is about understanding others’ points of view and being strong and working hard.

Stephanie Lymon (9), who listens to Kali Uchis casually, was surprised by her new album. “I didn’t have high expectations for this album originally, but it blew my old expectations out of the water. It feels like she’s telling a story as she sings about such relatable topics, like men, love, betrayal, etc.” explained Lymon, who then added that Isolation raised her expectations for Kali Uchis’s music and that she couldn’t wait to her more music by Uchis.

Isolation is available now to listen to on Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube, or to buy on CD.

• Experience Isolation

Gambino’s America

• Experience Isolation

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Experience Isolation

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Experience Isolation

Post Stoney

• Experience Isolation

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Experience Isolation

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Experience Isolation

DAMN, Another Award?

• Experience Isolation

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

• Experience Isolation

Rampage: Raving Reviews

• Experience Isolation

Isle Of The Dogs Offers a New Dystopian World

Experience Isolation