Jessica Jones Is Back

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

After two and a half years, Marvel’s Jessica Jones is back. The Netflix original series began airing its second season on March 8, on a Thursday instead of the usual Friday for Marvel series.

Season Two has thirteen episodes: the same amount as the first season. Some differences with this second season are that it was written before any of the episodes were filmed This new season also has a slower build.

In an interview with The Verge, showrunner Melissa Rosenberg explained that the slow build is the result of the extra time spent on writing the scripts. She added, “We really approached it as a 13-hour movie. So the first five episodes are like watching the first 35 minutes of a movie. Then you launch into the second act, and there’s a lot more coming.” Season 2 also introduces a new antagonist, Alisa, played by Janet McTeer, and focuses more on Jessica Jones’ past life.

In this season, Jones, played by Krysten Ritter, deals more with her past and internal conflict, including the lingering presence of Kilgrave (David Tennant) in her mind. Jones has to deal with Kilgrave mentally tormenting her after she killed him in the first season. The latest installment of the show also deals with Jones’ relationships with others, such as her best friend and adoptive sister Trish Walker (Rachael Taylor), a journalist who ends up uncovering evidence on IGH, the shady organization who experimented on Jones after her and her family were in a car crash. While the rest of Jones’ family died, IGH’s experimentation led to her super strength and her limited ability to fly.

So far, Jessica Jones has good ratings: 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 8.1/10 stars on IMDb. The show may not be for everyone, though. Zoe Jackson (9), after seeing the trailer for Season 2, felt she would not want to watch it. Jackson reasoned, “From what I could tell, the show is centered around violence and sex, which doesn’t appeal to what I look for in a show.” Jackson added that she thought it had an interesting plot, even if she did not care for the action.

Kristin Lim (9), a fan of Marvel movies, after watching the trailer felt that she would watch Jessica Jones even if she preferred Marvel’s movies over their shows:“The trailer itself had a large amount of suspense, which really pulled me in. I have a thing for mystery and the trailer for Jessica Jones Season 2 makes me crave more.”

The second season of Jessica Jones combines action and fighting with mystery and suspense. Could it be the next big show? Or will it flop like Iron Fist did? Only time will tell.

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Gambino’s America

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Jessica Jones Is Back

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Post Stoney

• Jessica Jones Is Back

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Jessica Jones Is Back

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Jessica Jones Is Back

DAMN, Another Award?

Jessica Jones Is Back