Jessica Jones Is Back

Jessica Jones Is Back

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Courtesy of David Giesbrecht / Netflix

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

After two and a half years, Marvel’s Jessica Jones is back. The Netflix original series began airing its second season on March 8, on a Thursday instead of the usual Friday for Marvel series.

Season Two has thirteen episodes: the same amount as the first season. Some differences with this second season are that it was written before any of the episodes were filmed This new season also has a slower build.

In an interview with The Verge, showrunner Melissa Rosenberg explained that the slow build is the result of the extra time spent on writing the scripts. She added, “We really approached it as a 13-hour movie. So the first five episodes are like watching the first 35 minutes of a movie. Then you launch into the second act, and there’s a lot more coming.” Season 2 also introduces a new antagonist, Alisa, played by Janet McTeer, and focuses more on Jessica Jones’ past life.

In this season, Jones, played by Krysten Ritter, deals more with her past and internal conflict, including the lingering presence of Kilgrave (David Tennant) in her mind. Jones has to deal with Kilgrave mentally tormenting her after she killed him in the first season. The latest installment of the show also deals with Jones’ relationships with others, such as her best friend and adoptive sister Trish Walker (Rachael Taylor), a journalist who ends up uncovering evidence on IGH, the shady organization who experimented on Jones after her and her family were in a car crash. While the rest of Jones’ family died, IGH’s experimentation led to her super strength and her limited ability to fly.

So far, Jessica Jones has good ratings: 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 8.1/10 stars on IMDb. The show may not be for everyone, though. Zoe Jackson (9), after seeing the trailer for Season 2, felt she would not want to watch it. Jackson reasoned, “From what I could tell, the show is centered around violence and sex, which doesn’t appeal to what I look for in a show.” Jackson added that she thought it had an interesting plot, even if she did not care for the action.

Kristin Lim (9), a fan of Marvel movies, after watching the trailer felt that she would watch Jessica Jones even if she preferred Marvel’s movies over their shows:“The trailer itself had a large amount of suspense, which really pulled me in. I have a thing for mystery and the trailer for Jessica Jones Season 2 makes me crave more.”

The second season of Jessica Jones combines action and fighting with mystery and suspense. Could it be the next big show? Or will it flop like Iron Fist did? Only time will tell.

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Danielle Perea is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys music, playing the tenor saxophone, and chillin with her homie (her pet guinea pig.)

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Big Roar From The Lion King

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

• Jessica Jones Is Back

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Jessica Jones Is Back

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Jessica Jones Is Back