The Best of Film of 2017

Courtesy of Consequence of Sound

Courtesy of Consequence of Sound

Courtesy of Consequence of Sound

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Sunday, March 4, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences presented the 90th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre, located at the Hollywood and Highland Center. This award show honored the best films of 2017.

The big winner of the night was director Guillermo Del Toro, taking home four awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Music Score, and Best Production Design for The Shape of Water.

His award was highly expected as he took home the top prize during other earlier award shows, such as Best Direction in the BAFTA Awards and Best Director in the Golden Globe Awards. “I am an immigrant like many, many of you… Because I think that the greatest thing our art does and our industry does is to erase the lines in the sand. We should continue doing that when the world tells us to make them deeper.”

A viewer of the Oscars, Jared Salguero (11) said, “I think everyone should be able to bring their talents to the world, regardless of their race. However, people these days are too focused on diversity in films, and that causes them to forget to judge movies based on quality.”

Frances McDormand won Best Actress for her role in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. In the movie, she played a mother seeking justice after her daughter was killed. In her Oscars speech, she said, “If I may be so honored to have all the female nominees in every category stand with me in this room tonight… Look around, ladies and gentlemen, because we all have stories to tell and projects we need financed. Don’t talk to us about it at the parties tonight. Invite us into your office in a couple days, or you can come to ours, whichever suits you best, and we’ll tell you all about them.”

Jimmy Kimmel, the host of the night, addressed the sexual harassment cases that have been occurring. He talked about the #MeToo movement, a hashtag used on social media that demonstrated widespread sexual assaults and harassments. It started after the revelations about Harvey Weinstein. Ashley Judd, Salma Hayek, and Annabella Sciorra, victims of Weinstein’s sexual behavior, recognized the shift in Hollywood’s culture in recent months with the rise of #MeToo.

A supporter of the #MeToo movement, Aashritha Srirambhatla (11) said, “I think everyone should become more aware of the social issues directed towards women. It is important for justice to be served for those that have been caught in situations of sexual assaults and harassment.”

If you did not get a chance to watch the award show, there are still other awards recognizing excellence in the media industry. The Primetime Emmys is the next award show which will honor the best of American primetime television programming on September 17.

• The Best of Film of 2017

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• The Best of Film of 2017

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• The Best of Film of 2017

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• The Best of Film of 2017

Gambino’s America

• The Best of Film of 2017

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• The Best of Film of 2017

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• The Best of Film of 2017

Post Stoney

• The Best of Film of 2017

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• The Best of Film of 2017

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• The Best of Film of 2017

DAMN, Another Award?

The Best of Film of 2017