Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

Jeff Grundy, Staff Writer

There are extremely funny comedians, jewels like Bill Burr or Tiffany Haddish, and then there is Jimmy Kimmel. We, as consumers of entertainment, see too much of Jimmy Kimmel from his repetitive late-night show, to his multitude of commercial spots, and his big hosting gigs at the Oscars and Emmys. This exact oversaturation of Kimmel that makes him boring and vanilla.

From his A-lister jokes that can only make Meryl Streep laugh to his constant deadpan humor. He is overconfident however since he is not overtly cocky it is not funny; it is almost elitist. He just has an air of superiority compared to the multitude of late-night hosts available.

After watching a full episode of Kimmel’s show, even the smiles were scripted with the most human element of the shows being the celebrities. His games are repeated giving me (the viewer) the sense that his show is just a massive PR opportunity for the celebrity and not late night entertainment.

Kimmel has been in this game for years. He is a household name and deserves that. His work ethic is incredible, but his jokes are just played out. We can see this at this years Oscars: the lowest rated ever.

Kimmel’s jokes fell flat on multiple occasions with almost an exact repeat of last year’s “regular people meet Hollywood stars” goof. The jokes were plain, the performance un-memorable, and he was overall just disappointing. The 90th Oscars should have been a noteworthy event. But it fell flat, to say the least.

The age of Jay Leno-esque Hollywood A-lister jokes is over. A more diverse Hollywood wants more diverse jokes but more specifically more diverse hosts. White men have controlled the hosting scene since award shows were created and it’s time for some new fresh faces. Instead of returning the usual crowd of white male faces lets get some much needed funny new talent.

Jeff Grundy, News Editor

Jeff Grundy is the News Editor of Smokes Signals and a senior at West High. His interests include politics and government.

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

South Korea: The Kore of Tourism

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

Frank Ocean: A High School Timeline

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

On My Block, In My Heart

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

Best Picture And Cutest Couple: Elisa And The Aquaman

• Column

Marlboro Man Meets LACMA

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

Hijabi Woman Paves New Way for Hair Care

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

The Essence Of Adolescence

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

A Mexican Reverie

• Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny

Editorial

The Starry Silver Screen

Jimmy Kimmel Is Not Funny