Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Courtesy of BBC

Courtesy of BBC

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On February 24, Bollywood superstar Sridevi Kapoor, or Sridevi, died at her hotel room in Dubai at the age of 54. As of now, the cause of death is thought to be cardiac arrest followed by accidental drowning, but an official autopsy is expected to be performed in the next few days.

Sridevi was one of India’s most beloved actresses, with a career spanning five decades and almost 300 films and starting at the age of thirteen. She starred in many famous Bollywood films, most notably Mr. India, Chandni, and English Vinglish.

However, her true fame lies in her work outside the screen. She was famous for her feminist ideals and for becoming the first actress who was able to headline a film in a largely male-dominated industry.

She was also famous for her decision to leave the film industry in order to marry her husband, Boney Kapoor, and raise her two children, Jhanvi and Kushi Kapoor, as a homemaker and her family-first ideology.

According to her family, Sridevi had no familial history of heart deficiencies. Her sudden cardiac arrest has been attributed to her various cosmetic surgeries and having spent a majority of her life in the harsh film industry.

Sridevi’s death has stunned and saddened many and numerous celebrities have expressed their tributes online. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi even tweeted, “Saddened by the untimely demise of noted actor Sridevi. She was a veteran of the film industry, whose long career included diverse roles and memorable performances. My thoughts are with her family and admirers in this hour of grief. May her soul rest in peace.”

Anandi Ahlawat (9) was also saddened by Sridevi’s death and said, “I’ve been a big fan of Sridevi’s movies since I was a child and have fond memories of watching them with my parents. I’m honestly surprised that she died so young, but it’s no wonder given that she basically spent her entire childhood in the media’s harsh spotlight.”  

Many are still mourning the loss of such a beloved and talented actress. However, fans will get some solace in her final film, Mom, which set to release later this year.

Anoushka Gupta, Sports Editor

Anoushka Gupta is Sports Editor for Smokes Signals and a junior at West High. She is also a member of her school's Academic Decathlon and Science Olympiad...

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Big Roar From The Lion King

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Bollywood Actress Sridevi Dies At 54