Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Courtesy of Verdict

Courtesy of Verdict

Courtesy of Verdict

Courtesy of Verdict

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

On February 16, Black Panther was released to all theaters. The movie, revolving around African culture, increased in popularity because of it was released on Black History Month.

Black Panther is about Prince T’Challa, portrayed by  Chadwick Boseman, taking on the role as King of Wakanda – his homeland – after his father passes away. As he transitions into his royal title, T’Challa meets a vengeful victim, Erik Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan)  of his father’s past,  threatening to destroy his home and strip away T’Challa’s ability to become the Black Panther.

Nathan Chong (10) watched the movie opening night. He said, “This movie was so good. I loved the action between T’Challa and Killmonger towards the end. The fight was nerve-racking and kept me on the edge of my seat.”

Although Wakanda is a fictional country, real facts about African culture are embedded into its made up tribes, such as The River Tribe.

The River Tribe Elder, otherwise known as Isaach De Bankolé, is shown wearing a giant turquoise lip plate throughout the film. Lip plates were a big part of the Mursi and Surma tribe: the bigger the plates, the higher the socio-economic status.

The clothes and accessories worn by the various tribes were inspired by real tribes around Africa. The Border Tribe’s blanket in Black Panther was based on blankets from the Basotho, or Bantu, Tribe from Southern Africa.

The golden rings around the necks of the Dora Milaje, a special force team made of women, were influenced by the golden rings worn by the Ndebele Tribe in Southern Africa.

Owen Gunawan (12) recalled his project in Mr. Phelps’ World Geography class. He said, “I remember doing the project on Africa and reading about the African culture. Black Panther really got the outfits and accessories spot on.”

Another factor of the movie’s rising clout is the soundtrack. Well-known artists such Grammy-winner  Kendrick Lamar, Grammy-nominated SZA, and Travis Scott are featured in the track. A couple of songs they sing are “All The Stars” and “Big Shot.”

Despite the high rating of the movie, Vicky Roach from news.com (Australia) wrote, “The plotting is predictable and the action sequences for the most part unengaging. Black Panther is a major disappointment.”

Besides Black Panther, Marvel is releasing a sequel to Deadpool called Deadpool 2 on May 18. Catch Black Panther playing in all theaters, with a select few in IMAX or the Dolby Cinema.

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

Jamie is a Senior at West High. She is a staff writer for Smoke Signals. She is obsessed with the color pink, enjoys listening to music, going to the...

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Big Roar From The Lion King

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Black Panther: Not All Fiction

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Black Panther: Not All Fiction