Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, February 12, 2018, American snowboarder Chloe Kim won gold at the Winter Olympics for Women’s Half Pipes in Pyeongchang, South Korea with a score of 98.25, blowing away her competitors Liu Jiayu and Arielle Gold, who received scores of 89.75 and 85.75, respectively. The gold has made Kim the youngest female Olympic medalist in snowboarding.

At the ripe age of 17, Kim has quickly become a sensation in the snowboarding world beyond her prodigious skating skills and her glowing smile. She has also become an icon on social media, going from 15,000 twitter followers to 150,000 in a single day.

Born in our very own town of Torrance, California, Kim has been snowboarding since she was four and has been competing since she was six. As a member of Team Mountain High, Kim quickly became a prominent figure in the snowboarding world, becoming the first athlete to win gold at the X-games three times before the age of sixteen and even becoming good enough to qualify for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, which she was unable to attend due to age restrictions.

However, Kim did not become so successful on her own. She was supported by her father, Jong Jin Kim, an immigrant from Korea who quit his job to support his daughter’s snowboarding career. He even refers to Chloe as his “ American Dream.” After she won gold, he said, “ I was very stressed because everyone was saying Chloe was going to win gold but no one knows the result — that I cannot control. Now I’m happy, all the stress is gone. I’m the dad of an Olympic gold medalist, not many people have this kind of feeling.”              

Many in Torrance are excited to be part of the hometown of a world-class athlete. Long-time Torrance athlete and fellow Korean American Lindsey Kim (10) said, “I’m proud of her – at only seventeen, it’s such a huge accomplishment. I know she’s already decorated, but she’s come such a long way and worked so hard. Her representation of the Korean-Americans and Torrance makes her even more of an inspiration!”

Along with skateboarding, Kim also has a wide variety of other interests. She is fluent three languages– French, English, and Korean– and has recently started learning acoustic guitar. As a fellow high-schooler, Nikita Selvarajan (10) said, “I’m in awe of Chloe Kim’s ability to balance her life. I can barely handle homework, I don’t know how she can be a great student and an Olympic level athlete!”

Kim has truly become an inspiration for many and she is likely to become the future face of snowboarding.

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Gambino’s America

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Post Stoney

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

DAMN, Another Award?

Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold