Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Courtesy of MyDailyNews

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, February 12, 2018, American snowboarder Chloe Kim won gold at the Winter Olympics for Women’s Half Pipes in Pyeongchang, South Korea with a score of 98.25, blowing away her competitors Liu Jiayu and Arielle Gold, who received scores of 89.75 and 85.75, respectively. The gold has made Kim the youngest female Olympic medalist in snowboarding.

At the ripe age of 17, Kim has quickly become a sensation in the snowboarding world beyond her prodigious skating skills and her glowing smile. She has also become an icon on social media, going from 15,000 twitter followers to 150,000 in a single day.

Born in our very own town of Torrance, California, Kim has been snowboarding since she was four and has been competing since she was six. As a member of Team Mountain High, Kim quickly became a prominent figure in the snowboarding world, becoming the first athlete to win gold at the X-games three times before the age of sixteen and even becoming good enough to qualify for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, which she was unable to attend due to age restrictions.

However, Kim did not become so successful on her own. She was supported by her father, Jong Jin Kim, an immigrant from Korea who quit his job to support his daughter’s snowboarding career. He even refers to Chloe as his “ American Dream.” After she won gold, he said, “ I was very stressed because everyone was saying Chloe was going to win gold but no one knows the result — that I cannot control. Now I’m happy, all the stress is gone. I’m the dad of an Olympic gold medalist, not many people have this kind of feeling.”              

Many in Torrance are excited to be part of the hometown of a world-class athlete. Long-time Torrance athlete and fellow Korean American Lindsey Kim (10) said, “I’m proud of her – at only seventeen, it’s such a huge accomplishment. I know she’s already decorated, but she’s come such a long way and worked so hard. Her representation of the Korean-Americans and Torrance makes her even more of an inspiration!”

Along with skateboarding, Kim also has a wide variety of other interests. She is fluent three languages– French, English, and Korean– and has recently started learning acoustic guitar. As a fellow high-schooler, Nikita Selvarajan (10) said, “I’m in awe of Chloe Kim’s ability to balance her life. I can barely handle homework, I don’t know how she can be a great student and an Olympic level athlete!”

Kim has truly become an inspiration for many and she is likely to become the future face of snowboarding.

Anoushka Gupta, Sports Editor

Anoushka Gupta is Sports Editor for Smokes Signals and a junior at West High. She is also a member of her school's Academic Decathlon and Science Olympiad...

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Big Roar From The Lion King

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold