The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Courtesy of UK MIX

Courtesy of UK MIX

Courtesy of UK MIX

Haley Guinn, Staff Writer

The 60th Annual Grammy Awards Ceremony was hosted by James Corden live in Madison Square Garden in New York City on Sunday, January 28. It was the first time since 2003, that the Grammys were held outside of Los Angeles, California in honor of its 60th anniversary.

To kick off the show, rapper Kendrick Lamar opened the show with a performance of his songs“XXX.” and “DNA.” off his album DAMN.

A fan of Lamar, Ema Tamaoka (10) thought that his performance was a good opening. She said, “I feel [that Kendrick] got everyone pumped for the Grammys to finally start. I personally enjoyed [his performance.]”

Lamar won five out of the seven awards he was nominated for, those being: Best Rap Album, Best Music Video, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Performance, and Best Rap/Song Collaboration.

The big winner of the night was singer-songwriter Bruno Mars with a grand total of six awards, including the awards for Album of the Year and Song of the Year.

Efrain Hernandez  (11) said, “I disliked how Bruno Mars won album and record of the year because he had two hits whereas Kendrick Lamar whose album was all hits. [He] should have won.”

However, Tamaoka felt the opposite. She said, “There are many other amazing artists out there, but Bruno Mars definitely deserved it this year. He made great new songs last year, which deserve recognition.”

Despite being the most nominated artist of the night with a total of eight nominations,  Jay-Z left the ceremony empty-handed. Nominated for both Album of the Year and Best Rap Song of the Year, Jay-Z was pushed out of the spotlight by Mars and Lamar.

One of the many highlights was Kesha’s emotional performance of her hit song “Praying,” in support of the #MeToo movement. Dressed all in white, Cyndi Lauper, Camila Cabello, Julia Michaels, Bebe Rexha and Andra Day performed alongside Kesha. She received her first Grammy nominations for Best Solo Album for her album Rainbow, and Best Pop Solo Performance for “Praying.”

Marin Casey (11) enjoyed Kesha’s performance. She stated, “First off, she is so brave to have not only written a song about her experience with sexual harassment, but also sang it on life television in front of the whole world. Also the great ensemble of women the Grammys put together for the performance was amazing, Cyndi Lauper has been my favorite singer since birth.”

Check out the performances and recaps of the entire event on Youtube.

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Hometown Hero Chloe Kim Wins Gold

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Glee Star Commits Suicide After Being Found Guilty

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

From Real-Life Heroes To Movie Actors

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Justin Timberlake Drops The Ultimate “Dad Pop” Album In Man of the Woods

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

H&M’s Jungle Bungle

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Empowering Women And Earning Accolades

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

The Jonas Brothers Are The Best Boy Band of All Time

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Danny Masterson Suffers Consequences Following Rape Allegations

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

• The Grammys Take The Big Apple

Oprah Winfrey 2020

The Grammys Take The Big Apple