H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Abril Antonini, Staff Writer

In recent news, famous clothing brand H&M received major backlash for being racist after releasing a picture of  a young African-American boy wearing a sweatshirt that says, “Coolest Monkey in the Jungle.”

After all of the backlash, the company posted an apology on Instagram that said, “We understand that many people are upset about the image of the children’s hoodie… We’re deeply sorry that the picture was taken, and we also regret the actual print. Therefore, we’ve not only removed the image from our channels, but also the garment from our product offering… We’ll thoroughly investigate why this happened to prevent this type of mistake from happening again.”

Many celebrities, such as rapper G-Eazy and singer The Weeknd, have spoken about the issue. as both have cut ties with the clothing company. Other enraged celebrities include rapper Diddy and NBA star Lebron James, who edited the picture to portray the boy as “King of the World.”

James stated, “@hm u got us all wrong! And we ain’t going for it! Straight up!… We as African Americans will always have to break barriers, prove people wrong and work even harder to prove we belong but guess what, that’s what we love because the benefits at the end of the road are so beautiful!!”

Shaunna Walker (10), who likes the brand, commented, “I was pretty shocked about it. Because yeah it’s a cute sweatshirt but it gets offensive when you have a black kid wear a jacket that says monkey on it. It kinda makes me not want to shop there.”

In response to all the controversy, Terry Mango, the mother of the young model, spoke out on social media stating, “That’s my son… I’ve been to all photo shoots and this was no an exception, everyone is entitled to their opinion about this. This is one of the hundreds of outfits my son has modeled… stop crying Wolf all the time, unnecessary issue.”

Some people feel out of place to comment on the matter, such as Alexa Potcovaru (11). She said, “I can’t really say whether it is offensive or not because ultimately I am not of that race therefore I cannot really have an opinion on it.”

Abril Antonini, Staff Writer

Abril Antonini is a Sophomore at West. She enjoys creative writing and is a part of the West High drill team. She has been dancing for 5 years, loves animals,...

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Simone Biles Perseveres In The World Championships

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Demi Moore Shares Her Story of Struggles and Successes

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Joji Drops Debut Album

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Selma Blair Opens Up About Her Battle with Multiple Sclerosis

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

The Issues With Horror Films of Today

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Delayed Release of Wonder Woman 1984

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

A Wicked Return

H&M’s Jungle Bungle