H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Courtesy of Digital Music News

Abril Antonini, Staff Writer

In recent news, famous clothing brand H&M received major backlash for being racist after releasing a picture of  a young African-American boy wearing a sweatshirt that says, “Coolest Monkey in the Jungle.”

After all of the backlash, the company posted an apology on Instagram that said, “We understand that many people are upset about the image of the children’s hoodie… We’re deeply sorry that the picture was taken, and we also regret the actual print. Therefore, we’ve not only removed the image from our channels, but also the garment from our product offering… We’ll thoroughly investigate why this happened to prevent this type of mistake from happening again.”

Many celebrities, such as rapper G-Eazy and singer The Weeknd, have spoken about the issue. as both have cut ties with the clothing company. Other enraged celebrities include rapper Diddy and NBA star Lebron James, who edited the picture to portray the boy as “King of the World.”

James stated, “@hm u got us all wrong! And we ain’t going for it! Straight up!… We as African Americans will always have to break barriers, prove people wrong and work even harder to prove we belong but guess what, that’s what we love because the benefits at the end of the road are so beautiful!!”

Shaunna Walker (10), who likes the brand, commented, “I was pretty shocked about it. Because yeah it’s a cute sweatshirt but it gets offensive when you have a black kid wear a jacket that says monkey on it. It kinda makes me not want to shop there.”

In response to all the controversy, Terry Mango, the mother of the young model, spoke out on social media stating, “That’s my son… I’ve been to all photo shoots and this was no an exception, everyone is entitled to their opinion about this. This is one of the hundreds of outfits my son has modeled… stop crying Wolf all the time, unnecessary issue.”

Some people feel out of place to comment on the matter, such as Alexa Potcovaru (11). She said, “I can’t really say whether it is offensive or not because ultimately I am not of that race therefore I cannot really have an opinion on it.”

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Gambino’s America

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Post Stoney

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

DAMN, Another Award?

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Rampage: Raving Reviews

• H&M’s Jungle Bungle

Experience Isolation

H&M’s Jungle Bungle