Oprah Winfrey 2020

Courtesy of E! News

Courtesy of E! News

Courtesy of E! News

Sanskriti Adigal, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 8, philanthropist and social influencer Oprah Winfrey became the first black woman to win the 2017 Cecil B. DeMille award for Lifetime Achievement.

The honorary award was first presented in 1952 to director, Cecil B. DeMille, during the 9 official Golden Globes. The tradition has since continued annually and is hosted by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to people who have outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment.

After being introduced by Reese Witherspoon, Winfrey, mentioned her thoughts on women everywhere as well as survivors of abuse. She further explained in her speech the significance of the award and the difficult journey she had growing up.

Sharing how she as a child saw the same award being presented to Sidney Poitier during the 36 Academy Awards, she stated, “I’d never seen a black man being celebrated like that. And I’ve tried many, many times to explain what a moment like that means o a little girl- a kid watching from the cheap seats, as my mom came through the door bone tired from cleaning other people’s houses.”

Winfrey also expressed her gratitude to important people in her life who inspired, influenced, and motivated her including Dennis Swanson and Quincy Jones.

She  further described her lifelong aspirations stating, “What I’ve always tried my best to do, whether on television or through film, is to say something about how men and women really behave: to say how we experience shame, how we love and persevere. I’ve interviewed and portrayed people who’ve withstood some of the ugliest things life can throw at you.”

A fan of Oprah, Muniza Ahmed (10) states, “Oprah Winfrey has had a big impact on society because her words speak the truth. She critiques and informs as much as she entertains, and people listen. Bringing her backstory into the speech touched me emotionally because for someone as young and abused as she had been, she turned out to be phenomenal.”

Justin Kim (10) agrees, stating, “I think her speech goes as far to show how someone so famous is really just human and even had to struggle financially.”

Since the delivery of the speech, several celebrities, including musician Pharrell Williams and actress Elizabeth Banks, have suggested the prospect of a presidential run for Winfrey in 2020 and believe she will preach kind values and compassion to the majority of Americans. Nevertheless, people all around continue to praise Winfrey for the achievement.

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Gambino’s America

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

Post Stoney

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Oprah Winfrey 2020

DAMN, Another Award?

Oprah Winfrey 2020