K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Courtesy of Washington Post

Courtesy of Washington Post

Courtesy of Washington Post

Sanskriti Adigal, Staff Writer

On Monday, December 18 it was confirmed that South Korean singer and songwriter, Jonghyun commited suicide. The 27-year old was found unconscious in his apartment and died in a hospital in Seoul soon after.

As the former lead singer of boy band, SHINee, as well as a reputable artist in South Korea’s largest music genre, K-Pop, Jonghyun’s death has left much of his following devastated.

A note left by the singer showcases the hidden struggles and pressures that young entertainers are undergoing in the very competitive music industry. Many in positions like Jonghun are subjected to years of training and controlling management agencies who dictate their style, diet, and internet usage.

Sonia Kil from Variety sheds light on the Korean industry, stating, “Many talented people. are recruited as teenagers who may not be emotionally mature enough to handle the discipline and scrutiny. The Korean public sets high standards of behavior and physical appearance, and uses social media to pass instant judgment.”

A quote from the now public note left by Jonghun states,“The depression that gnawed on me slowly has finally engulfed me entirely. I couldn’t defeat it any more.”

Caitlin Matsunami (10) states,“I personally feel that K-Pop idols are put onto pedestals and are practically forced to live up to the standards of the fans and their entertainment companies. There is definitely a lot of pressure and expectations.”  

As a fan and loyal listener, Matsunami adds how the unfortunate incident had not been a complete surprise, stating, “Jonghyun had been very open about his feelings but us fans knew there was more to the story. It was truly heartbreaking to find out that Jonghyun had taken his own life, and sadly he won’t be the last.”

The police have stated that they will not be conducting an autopsy and also claimed that Jonghyun’s sister received a text message from on Monday suggesting his attempt to commit suicide.

On Tuesday the suicide note was uploaded on the instagram page of Nine9, a vocalist in band Dear Cloud. The singer, who also happened to be a close friend of Jonghyun, claimed that he entrusted her with the information. She stated, “Jonghyun personally requested that if he ever disappeared from this world that I would personally post this no matter what. I had hoped that this day would never come…after discussing it with his family and according to his last wish, I’m posting his final message.”

Prayers are being sent to the supporters and Jonghyun’s family.

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

DAMN, Another Award?

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Rampage: Raving Reviews

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Experience Isolation

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Isle Of The Dogs Offers a New Dystopian World

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Editorial

Frank Ocean: A High School Timeline

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Editorial

On My Block, In My Heart

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Jessica Jones Is Back

• K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide

Blow Away Gun Violence

K-Pop Singer Jonghyun Commits Suicide