Music At Its Finest

Courtesy of Brooklyn Vegan

Courtesy of Brooklyn Vegan

Courtesy of Brooklyn Vegan

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

The 60th annual Grammy Awards will take place on Sunday, January 28 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Hosted by James Corden, this is the first time that the Grammy Awards will be held outside Los Angeles since 2003.

On November 28, Andra Day, an American singer and songwriter who received multiple Grammys last year, revealed the Big Four categories; Best New Artist, Record Of The Year, Song Of the Year, and Album Of the Year. Later on the  Recording Academy, an organization of distinguished professionals working in the music industry, announced the nominees in all the 84 categories.

The top nominees start with Jay-Z who was chosen for a total of eight nominations including nods for Album Of The Year, Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Rap Album.

Kendrick Lamar comes in second with seven nods and then Bruno Mars with six. Khalid and Childish Gambino both end up getting five nods. SZA, being the most Grammy-nominated woman for 2018, has been selected for five nominations.

Caitlin Sao (9), who has been keeping up with the 2018 Grammys, stated. “For Song of The Year, ‘1-800-273-8255’ by Logic has a very good shot of winning, since its message is meaning to many people. It talks about a sensitive topic, but the lyrics give a more uplifting approach to it.”

The arising artist’s music focuses on more serious issues in life such as suicide. According to a Montreality interview, Logic addressed suicidal viewers and stated, “I know however that at my darkest and lowest points I have actually overcame, because I continued to persevere and the crazy thing is what you don’t know and don’t realize is how happy you will be.”

Nathan Rabang (9), who agrees with Sao, said, “Logic will win the Song of The Year, because it sends a realistic, in-depth message that connects with the audience.

Despite the hip-hop and urban music rave, there were significant Grammy nominations considering visual media such as La La Land and certain song selections from it.

According to Variety, Jon Burlingame, Chris Willman, and Paula Parisi, writers involved with music, stated, “..[T]here’s no slighting the significance of La La Land’s nod in all three Visual Media categories marking only the third time in the last decade that’s happened, with Frozen achieving that honor in 2014 (and winning for song and compilation), preceded by The Great Gatsby in 2013.”

Anna Lee (11), who has been interested in the visual media nominations, remarked, “La La Land and its songs will win due to its vision of society today and how we sometimes have to choose our dreams in the end. The other movies don’t relate to the audience as much.”

Be sure to check out the Grammy Awards to see the category winners.

• Music At Its Finest

The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

• Music At Its Finest

A Sweet Chance For The Weinstein Company

• Music At Its Finest

Frank Castle Joins Netflix

• Music At Its Finest

The Spotlight Shines On Women In Latin Entertainment

• Music At Its Finest

An Alliance Against Odds

• Music At Its Finest

Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

• Music At Its Finest

Comedian Louis C.K. Accused of Sexual Misconduct

• Music At Its Finest

Andi Mack Features LGBT Character

• Music At Its Finest

Joji’s Musical Transition

• Music At Its Finest

Kevin Spacey Under Fire

Music At Its Finest