Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Courtesy of Dread Central

Courtesy of Dread Central

Courtesy of Dread Central

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Friday, November 17, Netflix released the first season of the new series, The Punisher. Based on the Marvel comics, the show focuses on Frank Castle (Jon Bernthal), also known as The Punisher, and his vigilante tactics in fighting crime.

In the first episode, Castle mourns the death of his wife and two children, determined to get his revenge. As seen through his numerous murders, the nature of his character is revealed to be very stoic and violent.

Becky Fuller, an interviewer from Screen Rant, stated, “The Punisher is dark, brutal, unflinching and uncompromising in its violence. It’s also Marvel’s best Netflix series to date.”

While a variety of supporting characters, such as Micro (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) and Curtis (Jason R. Moore), contribute greatly to the plot of the show, it is ultimately about Castle and his search to know why his family was killed. He finds killing those who took his family, among other criminals, as a form of coping with his loss.

As a fan of the series, Marienz Malig (11) said, “Despite all of the violence and the killings, I really enjoyed the amount of love and remembrance [the Punisher] has for his family members. His attitude of showing no mercy really displays his mourning attachment.”

While the show focuses on the character development of Castle, it is also able to capture issues of gun control and the post-traumatic stress of war.

With the death of his family and his time served in the war, PTSD haunts every moment of his life. Not only does it reveal Castle’s internal problem, it also exposes what veterans of war may deal with in present-day America.

A recent fan of the show, Joyce Park (10), said, “It is definitely different compared to the usual Marvel type, superhero movies. I think some viewers who have experienced the death of a loved one will be able to relate to the pain and grieving that comes with it, as seen from Castle, minus all of the murders.”

The first season of The Punisher is out on Netflix, so make sure to check it out.

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

DAMN, Another Award?

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Country Music’s Recognitions Of The Year

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Rampage: Raving Reviews

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Experience Isolation

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Isle Of The Dogs Offers a New Dystopian World

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Editorial

Frank Ocean: A High School Timeline

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Editorial

On My Block, In My Heart

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Jessica Jones Is Back

• Frank Castle Joins Netflix

Blow Away Gun Violence

Frank Castle Joins Netflix