Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Courtesy+of+Pitchfork+
Courtesy of Pitchfork

Courtesy of Pitchfork

Courtesy of Pitchfork

Andrea Gomez, Feature/Opinion Editor

On Wednesday, 8:50 P.M., Gustav Ahr—better known by his rapper name, Lil Peep—was found dead on his tour bus due to a possible drug overdose.

According to TMZ, the 21 year old was supposed to perform at a club in Tuscon, Arizona called The Rock. Instead, his tour bus was found outside of the club with Peep still inside. Friend and collaborator of Peep, Mikey Cortez, told law enforcement that he found the rapper surrounded by drug paraphernalia when Cortez was checking up on him. Peep posted a video taking six Xannies which people believe led to his death. Cortez took to Instagram to comment on Peep’s death saying:

“I am completely heartbroken and lost right now. I can’t even feel it’s not real. I love you and I’ll miss you always.”

TMZ reported, “Peep had posted a photo earlier in the day with what appeared to be prescription pills on his tongue.”

Peep’s manager, Chase Ortega, tweeted on how he expected the call—Peep dying—for a year.

There was a misunderstanding before Peep’s demise as Bexey Swan, his best friend and London-based musician, recorded what seemed like Peep dead on Snapchat. Since the video, Swan amassed an enormous amount of hate. However he said, “[Peep] was just snoring, just fell asleep. Like I would laugh at my brother’s dead body.”

Peep was known for his success on SoundCloud and YouTube, which is where he was discovered. His rapping career was growing and his music was often described as “emo rap” and gained a lot of popularity. His lyrics would sometimes be about his depression as Peep told Pitchfork in an interview, “I suffer from depression and some days I wake up and I’m like . . . I wish I didn’t wake up.”

Peep had just released his album called Come Over When You’re Sober, Part One on August 15. The album included two of the current most popular songs of his titled “Benz Truck and Awful Things.”

Many celebrities who knew peep have paid their condolences, such as Bella Thorne, Lil Pump, and Juicy J. American rapper, Post Malone (@postmalone), tweeted his reaction and gave his condolences:

“in the short time that i knew you, you were a great friend to me and a great person. your music changed the world and it’ll never be the same. i love you bud. Forever.”

A fan of Peeps music, Dylan Wright (10), said, “I was in shock, it took me until today to really process what had happened. I was frustrated seeing him [in Swans video] like that, knowing I couldn’t do anything.”

Lil Peep fans, close friends of his, and his family will all greatly miss his presence.

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

A Wicked Return

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

The Return of Hellboy

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

USS Wasp Denied Permission To Dock

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Cosby Gets Sentenced For Sexual Assault

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Meghan Markle’s First Solo Project: A Charity Cookbook

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

2018 Emmys Held Unanticipated Results

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Fan Bingbing Mysteriously Goes Missing

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Social Media Star Loses Fight to Cystic Fibrosis

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Singers, Sports, and Surfboards For The Win

Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace