Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Courtesy+of+Pitchfork+
Courtesy of Pitchfork

Courtesy of Pitchfork

Courtesy of Pitchfork

Andrea Gomez, Feature/Opinion Editor

On Wednesday, 8:50 P.M., Gustav Ahr—better known by his rapper name, Lil Peep—was found dead on his tour bus due to a possible drug overdose.

According to TMZ, the 21 year old was supposed to perform at a club in Tuscon, Arizona called The Rock. Instead, his tour bus was found outside of the club with Peep still inside. Friend and collaborator of Peep, Mikey Cortez, told law enforcement that he found the rapper surrounded by drug paraphernalia when Cortez was checking up on him. Peep posted a video taking six Xannies which people believe led to his death. Cortez took to Instagram to comment on Peep’s death saying:

“I am completely heartbroken and lost right now. I can’t even feel it’s not real. I love you and I’ll miss you always.”

TMZ reported, “Peep had posted a photo earlier in the day with what appeared to be prescription pills on his tongue.”

Peep’s manager, Chase Ortega, tweeted on how he expected the call—Peep dying—for a year.

There was a misunderstanding before Peep’s demise as Bexey Swan, his best friend and London-based musician, recorded what seemed like Peep dead on Snapchat. Since the video, Swan amassed an enormous amount of hate. However he said, “[Peep] was just snoring, just fell asleep. Like I would laugh at my brother’s dead body.”

Peep was known for his success on SoundCloud and YouTube, which is where he was discovered. His rapping career was growing and his music was often described as “emo rap” and gained a lot of popularity. His lyrics would sometimes be about his depression as Peep told Pitchfork in an interview, “I suffer from depression and some days I wake up and I’m like . . . I wish I didn’t wake up.”

Peep had just released his album called Come Over When You’re Sober, Part One on August 15. The album included two of the current most popular songs of his titled “Benz Truck and Awful Things.”

Many celebrities who knew peep have paid their condolences, such as Bella Thorne, Lil Pump, and Juicy J. American rapper, Post Malone (@postmalone), tweeted his reaction and gave his condolences:

“in the short time that i knew you, you were a great friend to me and a great person. your music changed the world and it’ll never be the same. i love you bud. Forever.”

A fan of Peeps music, Dylan Wright (10), said, “I was in shock, it took me until today to really process what had happened. I was frustrated seeing him [in Swans video] like that, knowing I couldn’t do anything.”

Lil Peep fans, close friends of his, and his family will all greatly miss his presence.

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Kendrick Lamar Teaches A Lesson

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Gambino’s America

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Heavenly Bodies and Heavenly Fashion

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

The 72nd Tony Awards Nominees!

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

Post Stoney

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

J. Cole Is Back and Just as Lyrical

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace

DAMN, Another Award?

Lil Peep Will Rest in Peace